<$BlogRSDURL$>
Packbacker

CONTACT INFO: If you'd like to contact either Tyler or Micah, our email addresses are tyler.valiquette@gmail.com, and micahdelfino@gmail.com respectively. Also, look for us on MSN Messenger, as we're on frequently.

Tuesday, January 27, 2004
 

Yo Hablo Español

Eminem seems a peculiar soundtrack to this post, but the guy running the internet cafe I'm in is blasting it, so I guess it will have to do. I'm currently in San Jose, as Tyler and I decided to come down and check the city out for the evening (as I had yet to sample the many and varied pleasures of this wonderful city). It actually isn't as terrible as I would have expected, given the reports I've received from most, but probably not a place I'd need to spend more than a day or two in.

Today was actually a decent day to venture here, as the afternoon was fairly open for a change. Every minute here has been so packed that it feels like I've been here for a month, rather than 2 days. I'm discovering anew that serious mental activity is far more tiring than anything physical. My brain is very tired, as evidenced by the fact that I'm having difficulty forming whole thoughts in English. I suppose that's a good thing, since I'm not here to practice my English.

On the other hand, my Spanish is improving rapidly. When I arrived Sunday afternoon, I couldn't say more to my host mother than 'gracias' and 'no entiendo'. On Monday after my first day of classes, I carried on a fascinating twenty minute conversation with her, about where I grew up and what foods I don't eat ('Yo no como carne, pollo, o jamon. Si, me gusta el arroz y los frijoles.') Then, I proceeded to speak with my host sister and a couple of her friends for a bit, during which time I explained that I like music. All in all, a very productive afternoon.

The results of the first day were very heartening, given that I estimate an improvement of about 4X. After today (day 2), I would say I improved by roughly the same percentage. This, in mathematics, is what is known as an exponential growth. By my calculations, if my learning curve remains constant, in a little more than 17 days, I will know more Spanish than any human being on the face of the earth. In all seriousness, however, I'm pretty happy with my progress. My French is helping immensely, as I'm finding that a lot of what I'm doing now is simply plugging the Spanish words into the same constructs as French. It helps not having to learn from scratch a lot of the simple organizational things that cause complete beginners problems.

As for the living situation, I'm pretty happy with the setup. My host mother (Doña Finlandia, which I can easily remember from the vodka of the same name), is a very nice lady, probably in her 60s or 70s (I haven't yet learned a polite way to ask, if such a method exists anywhere in the world). She cooks me both breakfast and dinner, whenever I want. My own mother doesn't treat me so well (just kidding mom). The only problem is I suspect the niceness is simply a front for a massive sadistic streak, in that I am convinced she is attempting to fatten me for the slaughter. This I can only assume from the size of the meals she produces for me, which could probably be used to feed most of Africa, with enough left over to make a healthy start on India (assuming they like beans and rice, because a meal here is simply not complete without). Luckily, I like beans and rice, although at the end of the month I may be forced to take some 'me-time' away from them for a period not less than one year. My family also consists of a father (whom I have yet to see, I have no idea where he is), a brother (whom I met in passing, as I was leaving one day), and the sister. Matilde (sp?) is 27, and works as a manager in a bank and is studying psychology on the side. She's great, because she is very enthusiastic about helping me learn Spanish, and seems like a lot of fun. Her and a couple friends took Tyler and I out for ice cream last night, which was fun. On Wednesday, she is taking Tyler and I dancing.

That's right, dancing.

Luckily for the two of us, the school had a one-hour lesson on Salsa dancing yesterday, so we are currently experts on that. I am still having some difficulty, in that my hips seem to be fused in a straight line with my spine, and no amount of coersion will make them move like Juan, our instructor. It may take several cervezas for that to happen. Its my last defense, so I'm praying that will work. If not, I can always play the old 'football injury' defense.

Tomorrow, we have our first cooking class, which I'm looking forward to. I already know how to prepare rice, and I'm certain with a little help from a can opener I can prepare black beans, but somehow they put those two ingredients together with a host of others to produce very good meals. I hope after a few of these classes, I can finally retire Top Ramen from my meal repertoire.

Alright, that's enough for now. Next time, I am hoping to include pictures, if we can find an internet cafe with USB (this one has it, but I forgot the USB cable).


Days without 'intestinal distress': 3

Comments: Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger